News hot of the press, as most know by now, is that Telstra have announced an immediate extension to their Broadband Network by enabling a further 900 telephone exchanges with ADSL2+ services. What does this mean for you and more to the point, will you be eligible and if so, when will you be able to be connected?
Below is a logistical breakdown of the national ADSL2+ extension upgrade which is scheduled to be deployed over 4 stage increments.
The 900 additional exchanges that will provide ADSL2+ high-speed broadband serve –
• approximately 730,000 homes and businesses in NSW
• more than 660,000 homes and businesses in Victoria
• more than 570,000 homes and businesses in Queensland
• more than 170,000 homes and businesses in Western Australia
• nearly 80,000 homes and businesses in South Australia
• more than 120,000 homes and businesses in Tasmania
• more than 50,000 homes and businesses in the Northern Territory
• more than 2,000 homes and businesses in the Australian Capital Territory.
Stage 1 & 2 (48 – 72 hours)
370 telephone exchanges serving nearly 1.8 million premises will be upgraded within seven working days – within the first 48 hours exchanges will be upgraded serving nearly one million premises in locations such as Alice Springs (NT), Banora Point (NSW), Buderim (Qld), Deer Park (Vic), Kalgoorlie and Karratha (WA), Newtown (Tas) and Victor Harbour (SA); and within seven working days exchanges will be upgraded serving locations such as Ayr (Qld), Aldinga (SA), Mittagong (NSW), Lakes Entrance (Vic), Sandy Bar (Tas) and Madjimup (WA).
Stage 3 (2 weeks)
132 telephone exchanges serving 230,000 premises will be upgraded within three weeks – serving locations such as Loxton (SA), Tully (Qld), Narromine (NSW), Camperdown (Vic), Howard Springs (NT), Smithton (Tas) and Yanchep (WA).
Stage 4 (6 months)
An additional 405 exchanges serving more than 330,000 premises will be upgraded within 200 days as Telstra completes additional work – serving locations such as Grovedale (Vic), Tumbarumba (NSW), Barcaldine (Qld), Ceduna (SA), Forrestdale (WA) and Cambridge (Tas).
907 exchange sites serving 2,423,664 million consumers across every state and territory.
Compare BigPond Broadband Plans right here at Youcompare Broadband